home about me services portfolio shop tutorials contact

Thursday, October 13, 2011

DIY Chalkboard


 A while back on one of my trips to Goodwill I came across this fantastic gold leafed frame. 


It was a steal at only $10 so I bought it knowing exactly what I wanted to do with it.  Turn it into a framed chalkboard/message center. 


I used Masonite board, which is like peg board with no holes in it.  I painted it with chalkboard paint and cut it to size with a table saw.  I measured the back of the frame as I wanted to glue it to the frame and not fit it inside.  If you know the measurements Home Depot or Lowe's can cut it for you. 

Masonite Board
You could also use a magnet board and paint that with chalk board paint.  This way you have a magnet board and a chalk board.  These come in a pre-selected sizes at most hardware stores and can not be cut on site.   
Magnet Board


I already had Masonite board that was painted with chalkboard paint in my garage from when I taught Home Economics to children, so this made my decision an easy one.  Once you glue the board to the frame let it dry.  I used a Gorilla Glue product.  Depending on the glue it will vary in time.  Give at least a few hours if not longer. 

Nail in some picture brackets to the back so that you can hang it to your screws.

And there you go!  A beautiful finished product!  Now I have a place to put all those amazing quotes I see everyday on Pinterest.


post signature

1 comment:

Jaquielyn said...

So great Allison! Thanks for sharing- the chalkboard is beautiful. And you make it sound so easy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...