home about me services portfolio shop tutorials contact

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Pinterest Piano

I love Pinterest!  It is an addictive past time of mine.  Why can't I be one of these smart people that come up with these novel ideas like Facebook, Twitter and now Pinterest?!? 

Recently I have noticed a lot of "re-pinning" of the piano I refinished.  What I love about Pinterest is that you can see the ripple affect pinning something has.  All these "repins" are from people I have no idea who they are!  The thought that my work is now out there in the Pinterest world for all to see is extremely exciting for me.  That means this adventure is for real, and people like my work! 

This piano has been in my family for over 30 years.  It is the piano I grew up playing, albeit short lived!  I wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons, but was never in love with the style of it, at all! 

(I never took a before shot when I started refinishing it, probably because I was so excited to just change it!  So this is one I cropped from a different picture so you could see.)

I opted not stripping the piano because I wanted to have some of the dark wood show through when I gave it my "Rustic" touch.  Rather, I used an 80 grit sand paper and took the high gloss varnish off as much as I could without scratching the wood.  I painted it with a cottage white latex paint.
  

Then I took my sander and had fun. 


The bench got a new look as well.  I love mis-match furniture, so making the bench a different color was the plan.  I first painted it with an aqua latex then when that dried I painted over it with the grey.


I lightly distressed it enough so that you could see the two-tone paint effect, as well as the original dark mahogany wood coming through.

Every piece of furniture has a story to tell.  Don't be scared to take risks and don't be scared of change...you could end up with something beautiful!


Happy Pinning!

post signature

3 comments:

Shannon Fox said...

Came out beautiful! The white looks gorgeous on it and the aqua bench is such a happy surprise =) Pinterest is fantastic. There are so many gorgeous, inspirational photos and ideas. How did we ever do without it?

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Found you at Dittle Dattle, love the new look for the piano. I'm a new follower. Would love for you to come visit my blog. http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/11/dressed-in-white.html

Anonymous said...

Hi to every one, the contents existing at this web page are genuinely amazing for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.


Here is my blog :: acheter follower

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...