home about me services portfolio shop tutorials contact

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rustic Book Shelf

I am in love with all things old and Rustic, (is it obvious with the title of my blog and business?).  When I see something that has a story to tell, my imagination goes wild!  I want to have a conversation with it.   "What stories could you share?  Where have you lived?  What places have you seen?" 

New is not always better! 

We have this awkward alcove high in the wall in our dinning area.  It has been many things since we moved here.  A place to display home decor, a catch all for keys and random stuff, you name it, it has been it!  It was awful!  Such an eye sore.  I wanted to turn this space into a usable storage area that is not only functional but architecturally appealing.  The idea of making it a book shelf was the plan.  Our family loves books but had no place to store them. 

My brain started ticking...what's free and old looking?  Wood pallets. 

It took me awhile to round some up to take apart.  After they were disassembled and all the nails were removed I started cutting and screwing them into the wall.


They don't need to be perfect!  That is the joy of wanting the old and rustic look.


I went to Rod Works and found these beautiful iron brackets.  You want to make sure they are drilled into the stud so it will hold the weight of the book shelf.


Accessories are just as important to bring the entire look together.  Every book case needs a wise old owl to stand guard! 


I LOVE milk glass!  My favorite is this Hobnail Milk Glass by Fenton.  Oh the stories this piece could share!  Beautiful. 




Love the way it turned out.  Hope I helped inspire you.

post signature

6 comments:

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I love this- love the rustic charm and shabby wood!! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

oh wow!
I love it.

My hubby wants to use some old pallet wood to make/ or line the cabinets in our vintage camper.

I'm bookmarking this to show him.

found you thru Feathered Nest Friday.

Pat

Lavenia said...

Very Charming :)

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

I just featured this amazing project today! Come grab a button

Kim

http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/10/good-morning-sunshine.html

Pamma said...

Love it!
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Onegirlruns said...

this is so great. i have so many pallets in my garage and no ideas of what to do with them. thank you so much for inspiring me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...